Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I just found out today that school starts on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!! Jessie kept telling me it was the 1st, but I wasn't convinced. I had to get her back to school list at the school today, and I was told that it IS the 1st!!! What a shock! I thought it would make sense to start after the holiday, but whatever. I've been a really good girl and buying the girls back to school clothes at the thrift stores regularly. I'm so proud of myself and THANKFUL for good thrift stores nearby! I bought Zoe one pair of new jeans today (18.00!!!!!), 2 pairs of shoes, and Jessie got 1 pair of shoes. I bought her other pair (like new) at the thrift store! Also got them 97% of their school supplies. They're keeping their "old" backpacks whether they like it or not. I said we could put fancy patches (not that their backpacks are hole-y!) on if they wanted. In the past, I would do more of the feast and famine thing--a famine of clothes in the summer cuz it doesn't matter as much, and then buying tons of new stuff with store credit cards! DUMB!!!!!! I'm slooowwwlllyyy wising up already.....going to the thrift stores a lot more often, and enjoying that smug feeling of a great buy on clothes for all of us! :) I ordered Zach's curriculum today. I may have it in my paws in a week. Tomorrow's the school ice cream social, when the families that come get a free ice cream cone and can meet their teacher and see where their new room is.

It's really getting cool at night here! Starting to get an itch to start a new quilt--such a fallish activity!

2 comments:

KW said...

Lori,

Love that back to school feelin'--NOT.
But I do love the smug bargain feeling that you mentioned....Lexie starts preschool next week, despite her unpottytrainedness.

Can u teach me how to do a quilt?

Loreo said...

Great word, Karena--unpottytrainedness!!!! Ha ha!!! Hey, do you know how good it is to be silly with you again, even if we are far apart? And guess what, I still have a ton of your letters!
My kids never did preschool because it costs money, but I think preschool is fun and precious. I actually have a surprising amount of memories, or at least impressions, of my own time there!
You want to do a scrap quilt together? I've got a small stack of clothes I saved in my quilt pile. What I'm gonna do is to cut them up and continue to save old stuff that my family ruins or outgrows or gets sick of. I've got kind of a masculine pile going--maybe it will go for Zach's bed. I'm toying with the idea of making Zoe one for Christmas out of new fabric, since I did one for Jessie already, and they have a bunk bed. Jessie's was made out of old denim saved up--6 inch squares with purple as the accent color. If you buy new fabric, be sure to wash it first and iron it before you cut it! And that's our introduction to quilting for today, class!