Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Meet Jose

How do you like Zach's baby crow? It was on the ground and can't fly well, so he rescued it. An internet search said that a normal part of the young crow's development when it's learning to fly is spent on the ground, and its parents are nearby. I made him put him back for a spell to see if they'd come back for him and if not, he could keep it overnight inside. Well, countless crows flew overhead to their nightly nesting site, but they didn't seem to notice. Our neighbor said that when he had done the same thing once, he was followed for a week by a whole gang of crows! This is a crucial time for a baby crow to be accepted into a crow family, and I want Zach to keep trying to put him back and watch to see if any of the black feathered ones notice or care. Will they reject him cuz he's been touched? I don't know. They can live to be 30 years old, so if we end up keeping the little guy/girl, it could be long term! Zach already has a goldfish, a lizard, and a snake in his very small room he shares with William! Am I a nice mom or what! My friend won't let her kids have a single animal, though they beg! I suggested Zach call the bird "Jose Cuervo," which is Spanish for Joe Crow. (Jill and Kristi, do you remember that Dr. Seuss record with its "Slow Joe Crow's clothes"?)

Zach and Kin slept outside last night and got cold....and then rained on!!!! There wasn't a peep in the paper about that! Glad of it, though. I actually have the heater on right now cuz it's pretty cool in the house. Monday was so hot!! Hopefully, my grass will breathe a little sigh of relief and catch up on some of its greenness it was losing.

Have to go to the car dealership and get the back hatch of the minivan fixed so we can go camping in 2 days.

Chris actually got to have a guys night out last night! An unheard of thing for a Monday night! I watched TV till late. Earlier, I got my exercise spending like 2 hours cleaning up our reclining, white plastic chairs that go in the yard. They were encrusted with mildew and speege--very uncomely. I got the girls to help. Now they're looking new and presentable again. A person should be able to take their cup of coffee and cookie outside and sit for 5 minutes when they need to, right? And not on brown grass.

5 comments:

Claire said...

SPEEGE? Did we just witness the coinage of a new word? How apt.

Jill said...

Yes! I remember Slow Joe Crow's clothes! And I can just hear you saying it in your funny little way.

The phrase that came to mind when I first saw the picture of Zach with Jose is "crow whisperer." He has such a knack with animals. Guess we know who he got that from!

Have you seen The Pacifier? There's a scene in it where the main character, Vin Diesel, whispers something to the family's pet duck. The bad guy looking on calls him a duck whisperer. Pretty funny movie! It's Jed's favorite right now. So if you were to come visit in the next few days don't be surprised if you see a Navy SEAL walk in. :-)

Loreo said...

Claire, isn't speege a great word? The "g" sounds like a "j." Use that word all the time. :)

Jill, I laughed out loud at "Crow Whisperer!" Didn't see The Pacifier--maybe I will now. What did you mean about a Navy SEAL?

Jill said...

Speege is an excellent word. It sounds like what it describes!

To answer your question, a Navy SEAL is a specially trained soldier who does secret military operations. They're trained in all kinds of different types of warfare and are known for their exceptional strength, skill, and intelligence. So when I said don't be surprised if a Navy SEAL walked into the room, I meant Jed has been dressing up as one lately with all kinds of weapons stuck in his belt. You have to see the movie. The kids would love it, and I think you and Chris would too.

Jill said...

Der. Forgive me for insulting your intelligence. After I wrote the above comment, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that of course you already know what a Navy SEAL is! You were just wondering what I meant about a SEAL walking into the room. So sorry. :-(