Monday, August 15, 2005

Dead dogfish tell no tales

I spent a long time on ebay messing around with that stuff. Did lots of laundry and watered the yard. A hot day--is anyone NOT experiencing hot days? Chris came home and was in a great mood--was really glad to have me home--suggested we all take a walk on the waterfront. So we did--it was twilight, and the air was cool and sea-fresh. It was one of those magical summer evenings that will stick in my mind--something about the atmosphere, smell, lighting...I don't know. We saw a Dad from chuch and his kids at the dock. They had just finished fishing. They're the same ones Zach has gone out with a few times. On the rocks, dead, was a small shark!! Chris called it a "dogfish," and said it was the same thing! It was very cool and unusal to see there. Of course, the kids wanted to poke at it, and Zach's friend pulled out one of its teeth! The kids had their skates and scooters, although William commandeered Zoe's scooter most of the time. Shoulda known to have brought another. We then got ice cream at McDonald's because there was no other better, closer place open, which is an embarrassing shame. There should really be some great ice cream shop open on a Monday night at 9:00 on the waterfront! There were lots of people out! Someone needs to get their act together. Unfortunately, really good ice cream shops are not common here. You can get all manner of coffee drinks and smoothies every time you turn around, and there are a few Baskin and Robbins, but nothing awesome. In California, really good frozen yogurt was popular. It's rare here, and quite hideous. I guess it's just not in "vogue" any more. Sure do miss it!

Zoe told me about an exchange between her and our drama queen/diva neighbor girl, who is about 9. Kelly--"What's it like to be a real kid?" Zoe--"You ARE one!" Kelly--"Well, I'm not really one--I'm MATURE."

This afternoon, Zach loosened the back brakes on my bike cuz they were so tight they squeeked when you weren't even applying them. He must have spent maybe 20 minutes in the sun taking off the baby seat on the back and then doing the loosening of the doohickeys. I was very proud and thankful he did it. It's really cool to have a strapping 11-year old boy who I can mold to be useful for my own benefit-- MU Ha ha ha!!!!!!.....OH, sorry, did I say that out loud? And of course to love God and serve OTHERS and be responsible, etc., etc. :) But what was great was, when he came into the kitchen to get something to drink and was sweating pretty good, he said, "I feel like I've been working as hard as Dad!"

No comments: