Friday, August 05, 2005

Another day in the life of yours truly

How do you like William's shiner? (See photo at the end of this mile long post). That photo is a few days old, and he looks worse now! When we were at my parent's house on Sunday, William tripped and bonked his head on the metal base of their patio chairs. He had a huge egg with a blue stripe down the middle, and he wouldn't let me put ice on it, of course. It's kind of worrisome, because you think people will wonder if you're beating your kid. And when neighbors live close by, and the windows are open, and they have heard William screaming often enough, or me yelling often enough...you know how it could be!

The weather has been really gorgeous--in the 80s. I've been struggling like crazy to keep the lawn green--watering constantly! Yesterday, spur of the moment, went to Dash Point Beach with my kiddos and Andrea and her kiddos. We didn't have a lot of time, which I regret, but it is a really beautiful beach with good sand, flat, and great large quantities of area for people to play! I finally got a new bathing suit, too. A lot of chaps were boogie boarding(?), which Zach is now interested in. He thinks maybe he and Chris could make one. Yesterday, he and his neighbor friend were "harvesting" wheels off some abandoned lawn mowers in an alley, hoping to make a homemade go-cart! He then asked me if there was anything lying around the house he could use for axles. "Oh sure, son, let me go check in the medicine cabinet! Or maybe you could use a golf club!"

Earlier this week, he helped my dad do some work at a house. When my dad dropped him off, he was desperately hoping I would let him keep this huge machete my dad was willing to let him have. It was dull, but HUGE, and there was just no way! He was BROKENHEARTED that I said no. I felt bad, but, like I said, there was no way! He would have used it in the "club." That's an undeveloped area on our alley neighbor's land with blackberry bushes, trees, cement rubbish, etc. It's a place the kids love to explore and mess around in--whacking at berry bushes, making forts, blazing trails, looking for treasures, etc. The kind of place all kids should have access to, right? There's nothing charming about it, but our yard is small, so I'm grateful for diversions for the kids close at hand! The day after the machete disappointment, I was very glad for Zach's sake that his new friend down the street let him ride his pocket bike. That's another thing Zach is in love with. Three of the boys have now been to the new local bike shop to browse and ask questions. Heaven for him!

Someone just called on the phone. William wanted to get me the phone, which is fine, but then, the WHOLE time I was on the phone trying to get Chris's cell and work phone numbers to an old friend trying to get him a referral for work, William was SCREAMING because he wanted the phone. He was outraged that he only got to pick it up. So here I am trying desperately to find a quiet place in the house, and William is following me, HOLLERING!!! If I go outside the back porch, the phone cuts in and out. So I try to go upstairs and lock the door behind me, but it doesn't really lock. So I hold it shut for a minute while he stands one foot away, behind the glass, and continues to be a jerk. Then I get Zoe to guard the door so I can go upstairs and try to think and hear and talk to this person! GOSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Please tell me someone reading this has seen and loves Napoleon Dynamite?

Our microwave died this week, and I am handling it surprisingly well and stoically, if I do say so. I haven't cried or thrown any fits! I haven't even sighed loudly or rolled my eyes much at all! So now I'm living my own Colonial House (snort--as if!) and heating food up in the oven or on the stove top! The machine was bought with wedding money, so it's 12 years old! I think what may have helped contribute to its demise was some strain it underwent lately. About 2 weeks ago, Jessie wanted to heat up a frozen hamburger bun in there. I explained, several times, how to do it, but she misunderstood. I think she put it in there for like 3 minutes on high or something. Well, it scorched! The plate was scorched, the buns had petrified, and the hole kitchen was filled with acrid smoke. I was literally choking in there, trying to get the windows open and the vent going!! I sprayed air freshener, lit incense...the bad odor was very lingering. And it had soaked into the microwave. So I lit like 5 incense sticks and let the smoke in the microwave. It really helped, although, whenever you opened the microwave, you smelled an odd combo of burnt and floral...like an opium den or something. Just kidding--as if I would know what that smelled like! I never wanted this microwave to die, cuz I was used to it and really liked it! These new-fangled contraptions with all their "smart" technology and "sensor" cooking are a bit much for me....I say now...but pretty soon, I'm going to "have" to get a new one!

Haven't sold anything on ebay yet. One auction closes today, another one next Wednesday. I have 3 items being "watched." Not bid on, but "watched." I think I may have been too hasty to sell. I should have gotten my feedback points built up. I'm only at 2! People don't feel real confident buying from a new seller with a feedback of only 2. So, I'm going to try to buy some inexpensive stuff on ebay, and try to get some positive feedback from it. I'm frustrated, to be honest, but there's a lot to learn--by trial and error, and otherwise. This is no free lunch. You don't sell all your listings the first day! It's hard, though! I WANT TO MAKE MONEY, NOW!!! TRUST ME, PEOPLE!!! BUY MY STUFF!!! I wish I could ask a close friend or relative a million questions, but I don't have a close friend or relative selling! I'm not going to bug to death the gal my mom told me about who I have already called twice. So I do my best, and look at the question and answer forums on ebay--A LOT!!

Anywhoo....thank God it's Friday! Anybody want to come over and help me do some ungratifying housework? The fish tank needs a cleaning, the fridge needs a cleaning, the van needs a cleaning, more laundry, more lawn watering! Sometimes I like to joke around with God and ask, "God, your angels watch over us and keep us safe...but don't you have any that can give me a neck massage or give me a hand cleaning?" :)

Chris worked 13.5 hours yesterday. Did that include the 3 hours it took him to get home? I'm not sure. He got stuck in traffic. Some fatality accident that had happened like 12 hours earlier was still snarling the road! Argh!

3 comments:

Mrs. RF said...

Enjoyed catching up with your world. Sorry about your microwave! How did we ever manage before we had them!

Have a great weekend.

Claire said...

I love all your stories. Especially loved the part about the opium den microwave! Ovens are weird. Inspired by your story, I think I am going to post in the near future about a recent episode with an oven at work...

pennyjean said...

Lori, this post has made me miss you more than ever. I laughed out loud! I, too, love Napolean Dynomite! I also loved your prayer to God for angels to give us neck rubs or help with housework! HeeHee!