Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Life with a 2-year-old

I got a few funny things from my Parenting magazine from an article called "Life with a 2-year-old."

"Spending the day with a 2-year-old is like working for a cranky, hormonal , half-drunk boss. At least at work you'd know when a conflict was brewing. You'd have time to prepare for it and write memos in your defense. But a 2-year-old will just suddenly freak out because you won't let him hold your knife, walk into the street, or put his hand in a dog's mouth.....Another child could be holding a piece of belly button lint, but that would be the piece of belly button lint that Zain couldn't live without.
These days, he's practicing for a career as a professional imit tester. I tell him, 'Don't throw the ball inside.' A minute later, he'll roll the ball a little. Then he'll drop it from an inch off the ground. Still not technically a throw. Then a little bounce. A few minutes later, he'll push the ball in midair. A throw? I never know when he's actually crossed the line. By the time I step in, I'm not sure which of us has actually won that round.......
Every night, as I leave Zain's room, I whisper to him, 'I'm so lucky to have you. You're the best boy in the whole world.' And on most nights, I actually mean it."

3 comments:

Booker said...

Spending the day with a 2-year-old is like working for a cranky, hormonal , half-drunk boss.

Ok, that was the most hilarious thing I've seen all day! Thanks...

KW said...

I am soooo there. Wow. I was just thinking that
life with a 2 yr old is actually like living with
someone with dementia. Throw that into the mix.
The part about throwing or not throwing is just EXACTLY what it's like...always pushing the limits.
Happened just tonite when I told Lexie not to pull
A's hair and then she walked by and grazed her hand
over his head giving me one of her sideways looks...
Then later, she told C & I that we were her best friends...Awwww

Jill said...

Yep, I can totally relate. Very well put. That's Chloe right now. The scary thing is that I get to go through the same thing again with Tucker in less than a year. Aaaagh!