Tuesday, October 25, 2005

How to recycle roast beast

Thought I'd share a way I used up leftover roast beef, potatoes, carrots, and gravy. I made Cornish pasties!!!! All I had to do was make the dough, roll it out, cut into 6 inch circles, put the chopped up leftovers in, bake, and enjoy! I added a little water and worcestershire sauce to the innards first, so they were moist and flavorful, not dry and bland. Here's the dough recipe:

2 c. flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 c. shortening
1/3 c. ice water (slightly more if desired)
Combine flour and salt in bowl. Cut in shortening. Add enough water to form dough that will barely stick together. Knead dough on floured surface 4-5 times. Roll it 1/4 thick; cut into 6 inch circles. In center of each circle, place a moderate spoonful of meat and potatoes, onions, and carrots, or whatever you have. (Make sure it has salt and garlic and any other seasonings you want. And don't put a really dry mixture in--it won't get any moister, and dry pasties are not good.) Fold circle in half over filling. Press edges together to seal and crimp edges. Cut slit in top and bake at 400 for 15 min and then turn down to 350 for 30 min.

1 comment:

Mrs. RF said...

Yum- that sounds good! I will be right over for dinner!!! Maybe I should try a variation on that. thanks!