Friday, July 08, 2005

Yesterday, dinner "snuck" up on me, as it does sometimes. It was a warm day and a busy one. I need to have dinner ready about 5:30. At 3:30 I was trying to figure out what to make. I threw 2 chickens in to roast, thinking ahead to sandwiches, but what to serve with them? Well, I found a neat recipe in the newspaper, of all places. It actually calls for cut up chicken, but I left that out this time. I'm not sure this was the family's favorite--it was a bit different for all, but I enjoyed the change for my tastebuds. I think you could also try cracked wheat in place of couscous for a nuttier, chewier sensation.

COUSCOUS, CHICKEN, AND ARTICHOKE SALAD

Yield: 6 servings

2 (6-0z) jars marinated artichoke hearts
4 cups cooked and cooled couscous, orzo, or other small pasta (I used one small box)
2 cups coarsely chopped, cooked chicken
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, divided
salt, pepper
2 T freshly grated parmesan
cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, for garnish

Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade. Coarsely chop artichoke hearts. In a large bowl, stir together couscous, artichoke hearts, artichoke marinade, chicken, green onions, parsley, 3 T pine nuts and salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently but thoroughly. Sprinkle with remaining 1 T pine nuts and Parmesan; garnish with whole or slivered tomatoes.

2 comments:

Claire said...

That sounds SOOOO good! I can't wait to try it!

KW said...

Lori

You RULE! I will have to try this. I love couscous,
and artichokes, and Lexie is a big couscous fan too.
Loved seeing the pics of the kids...