Thursday, July 21, 2005

I'm cuckoo for bubble shakes!

It's 9:19 A.M., and it's going to be another perfect day, it looks like. I just sat down with my coffee. William is watching Kratt's Kreatures, girls are at summer school. This may be the last day for them.
I had the worst time sleeping last night, and I'm not amused. What is up with this 2 week insomnia I've had? I used to be able to sleep like a baby within 10 minutes! Now I'm wide awake, wide awake, wide awake till early in the morning, just thinking...about too many things. I think I fell into an anxiety rut that I need to find my way out of. So, last night, at like 2:00 in the morning, I took a blanket out in the back yard, lay on the grass, looked at the full moon, and enjoyed the fresh air. I almost could have slept right there, but then the neighbor's darn dogs started barking incessantly. I was gratified when one actually responded to my, "Cashmere!! Shut up!!"
Yesterday, I spent ALL day heavy cleaning. You know how you can get away with being a slacker for quite awhile, and then when company's coming, you have the extreme fear of God about not letting that slacker trait show? My friend from church, Andrea Betterhomesand gardens, and her 2 children are going to stop by on Friday. We will then all go to Point Defiance Park for a picnic. Oh, and on the way, stop at Wendy's Vietnamese restaurant at Freighthouse Square for bubble shakes. They are my favorite drinks--the'yre fruit smoothies with these chewy tapioca balls at the bottom, and you suck on it with a large, colored straw. The balls are marble sized, and they are the consistency of chewier than usual gummy bears. I always get mango. When I'm having a really bad day, I sometimes take my black thundercloud and whoever is handy and buy me some mango happiness. Last night at dinner time, I made peach raspberry smoothies from frozen fruit. Usually I add sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg, but it doesn't taste quite like I want. Last night I found 2 much better additions: rum extract and almond flavoring! Yummy! And don't skimp on the sugar, either. So yesterday was heavy cleaning and rearranging and adding items of decor. I spent several, like 3 hours, in the kitchen alone. And I didn't even get to the bathroom or mop the wood floor! But it does look better. Oh, and I didn't even get to the upstairs. The 3 older ones had to clean their own rooms.
The day before yesterday, I spent ALL day researching ebay and how to become a seller. It's been in the back of my mind for a long time, and I've thought and prayed about it. I finally took the plunge. I ordered a digital scale and some free post office boxes. I have some decent clothes lying around I want to try to sell. I set up an ebay store, and took several pictures. I got id verified...now I'm waiting for my stuff to come. I plan to try to find good quality, name brand clothes at the thrift store, and try to make a profit off them. I'm pretty nervous. Anyone out there ever sold on ebay?

Quote for the day: Try to see who your child is and love what their talents are.

Well, the need to finish painting the picket fence has really been nagging me. Maybe I'll get to that today. Will I get on my treadmill or do medical transcription course? Those last 2 get squeezed out of my day way too often. Argh.
Saturday, my family and mom, dad, and Kristi are going down south on a brunch boat ride. My dad's idea it was. He and my mom have been before. What's the boat? Something old-fashioned like a steam ship or something. Already planning on having diversions in the van for William--lollipops, books, sedatives, duct tape. :) Hoping it will go well. We don't travel very far any more, so it will be a neat adventure, Lord willing.

8 comments:

Kristi said...

Andrea's last name is Betterhomesandgardens?? I had to look at that twice and then laughed out loud.
Mrs. Lohr (Natalie's mother-in-law) is a successful e-bay seller. I'm sure she'd be happy to share some of her secrets with you.

Claire said...

Cashmere? A DOG named Cashmere!? How ingenious. What kind of dog?

KW said...

Lori

Hope you have success with your ebay venture. I've
never tried to sell, but have browsed. I think
there's not much danger of me becoming an ebay
addict, as far as buying stuff goes, as I am loathe
to spend money...when I got outbid for the only thing I ever bid on (a childs plastic tea set for 1.99? or so) I gave up in a huff....haha

Liked the sounds of that smoothie!

Jill said...

Hmmm, duct tape and sedatives. That's a great idea. I'll have to keep that in mind. Got any tricks for keeping two-year-olds in bed at night?
Good to be reading your blog again. I've been out of the loop for weeks but am back now and enjoyed yours very much. I can't believe how much you've been getting done. Can I really look forward to being productive again someday?!
Hope your insomnia goes away soon! It's hard to go to sleep when you have a million things on your mind.

KMS said...

Do you have recipes for fruit smoothies? I bought a smoothie recipe book off half.com last year, but it focuses on smoothies using exotic fruits too expensive or hard to locate. I'd like some recipes using more normal fruits. I've spent nearly a year using my blender to make frappuccinos; now I'd like to branch out. :-)

Jill said...

Kristi and I used to make fruit smoothies--in fact, I still do--using a frozen banana (or part of one if you don't like the banana flavor), milk, sometimes ice cream, and whatever berries we had in the freezer. Nowadays I just get a berry blend in the freezer section at the grocery store. A little yogurt can be added to for a richer flavor and texture, and to make it even more healthful.

Loreo said...

Claire, I don't know what kind of dog Cashmere is. She's big and fluffy and brown, has had many, many puppies, and she has this funny underbite that I like to imitate!
KMS, is that Kendra? When I make smoothies, I use my weak, 10-year old blender, which can't handle ice cubes. So to get the frozen texture, I just use frozen fruit, whatever I have on hand. I have actually tried one with frozen oranges and apples, and I was truly surprised at how good it is. I usually use berries, sometimes bananas, milk, sugar, sometimes yogurt if I have it. You could make it richer with richer milk or cream, or more exotic with tropical fruit like mango. Happy smoothy-ing!
Karena--gave up in a huff, eh? Ha Ha!!

KMS said...

Yep, KMS is Kendra. Thanks to the A (ex-A?) sisters for the smoothie tips.