Sunday, July 31, 2005

candle lanterns

Last night, the kids and I had the funnest time in the front yard. There were a few neighbor kids over as well. I had seen in magazines these jam jar candle holders that you rig up with wire make handles to hang them outside in the evening in the summer. I tried it--put blue sand in and yellow candles, nailed them up above the porch. But the wind, though slight, kept blowing them out! So I got my quart canning jars and put the yellow candles in them and put them on the ground of the porch. They stayed lit and looked so cool! We then took the hanging ones down, and put some on a low brick wall and a few on the picket fence. And for some reason, they stayed lit there, for the most part. Mucho ambiente!

It looked like a stage on the porch, and the kids were being very entertaining--dancing, somersaulting, cartwheeling, showing off! I discovered I can still do a decent hand stand! We had popcorn and koolaid, and then me, the kids, and one neighbor girl slept right in the front yard where we had been hanging out with our blankets and pillows! It was like 11:45 when we went to sleep! The neighbor's kitten slept with us all night, which was so sweet! My lower back and hips were not amused by the hard ground. I had to put a pillow under by hips and change positions often. It's so neat sleeping outside--going to sleep with the stars over head, waking up often cuz you're cold and sore, watching the sun rise on another beautiful day!

Going to see cousin Stephanie, who's living in Seattle, and her mom, Aunt Linda, today at the fam's. The kids will be able to swim again.

No bids on my ebay stuff yet. I dreamed that I had one bid--a green number one--and I was so happy! I also dreamt of a very loud blimp, and the sky being filled with hot air balloons!

3 comments:

Mrs. RF said...

Your candle lanterns, and sleeping out all night sounded like so much fun! Even to the kitty!

You are building such neat memories for your kids!

ljm said...

Yeah--I love the candle lantern idea

pennyjean said...

Lori, you are always so creative! I love your ideas, but more than that, I love that you follow through and do them.