Monday, July 18, 2005

The Weekend News Update

Dinner at the Melting Pot was amazing. We were in a quiet, dark corner booth--very private--with a candle on the table. We started off with a cheese fondue. They put all the ingredients into the metal pot right in front of us, and the "burner" was built into the table in between us! Once all the ingredients were hot enough and melted together, we dipped bread cubes, apple pieces, and fresh veggies with long pronged forks! Then there was delicious salads, and after that, the entree. The entree we had was like 4 different meats, cut into cubes--there was duck(!), pork, chicken, beef, and prawns. (Okay, 5 meats.) We got to pick the broth we wanted it to cook in. There was also mushrooms and red potato pieces to be boiled along with the meat. They gave us a whole bunch of little containers of sauces. It was delightful. I came ravenous, and left stuffed for the rest of the evening. We had Boston Cream Pie that my Mom made when we got back to her house to pick up the kids. It was pretty late by that time. I had hardly any appetite to appreciate the cake at all there, but I REALLY enjoyed it as a breakfast of champions on Sunday morning.
Sunday I taught my 2-4 year old class. They do not have attention spans at all, really. You can't teach them the story of Noah, for example. I had to get their attention with skittles, and round up the stragglers who would rather play than be at the table. So I got in a few words edgewise to my glazed-eyed tots about Noah and rainbows. Then we made rainbows on blue cardstock with glued on cottonballs and skittles for the rainbow. (You know--"Taste the Rainbow.") Yes, they did consume quite a few skittles, but it kept them at the table for a goodly amount of time! When the plate of skittles was too far away, they'd just calmly pick the gluey ones off their paper and eat those! When the parents came to pick up the kids, William took several still wet rainbow papers and dumped all the gluey candy on the floor. Of course all the kids dove for them!
After church, we all went to my friend Andrea and Matt Eldridge's lovely home in South Hill for a meal. Her house, inside and out, should be in some magazine. It's large, and everything is amazing about it. She made us a very nice barbecued lunch and a yummy cake. The kids played on the trampoline and in the sprinkler. William was ready for a nap after church, so he was way beyond Mr. Nice Guy all afternoon in the hot sun at their house. He shrieked quite a bit, which was not cool.
We just took it easy in the evening. Chris made us a casual, late dinner. I checked out the new piano book Kristi gave me for my birthday. This morning, Monday, my girls prolonged my birthday even longer by both giving me bouquets of flowers from the yard and homemade cards! It's pretty dang warm today, even in the morning. TTFN!

3 comments:

Claire said...

I LOVED the Sunday School story! That was a great idea- the whole rainbow/candy thing. Hmmm...snacking on gluey skittles...! What a hoot.

Mrs. RF said...

That fondue place sure sounded like fun! Glad you had a nice birthday!

KW said...

Hi Lori!

I was remembering the other day that it was your
birthday some time around now, and now I rmember that it was indeed July 17! Our anniv. is the 16th...
Sounded like you had a nice dinner out. We went out
for dinner tonite at a Turkish restaurant.