Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My kids made my day, and it's about time!

Several things blew my mind recently. In the USA Weekend insert in Sunday's paper, there was an article talking about Neighbors Make a Difference Day in October. Where it tells you how to join the action, it says, "If Saturday is your Sabbath, please volunteer Sunday, Oct. 29." Can you believe it!!?? I hooted with disbelief and amazement!! Someone mentioning the Sabbath in print!! And acknowledging that there are Saturday campers and Sunday campers!

And the other mind-blowers occurred at the dinner table tonight (simmered beef short rib, a Korean recipe, short grain rice, and Korean bean sprout salad--delicious. If you want me to share recipe, let me know). Zach was telling me there was this short black 6th grader who was being obnoxious and kinda making himself troublesome--punching Zach in the arm semi-seriously and what not. He asked Zach at one point if he was a Christian, and when Zach said yeah, the boy seemed to show fear and respect and said he was a Christian, too, and wouldn't mess with Zach anymore. It seems to me that some kids get obnoxious with Zach out of jealousy, honestly. But can you believe that?!! And then Jessie proceeds to tell me that LAST YEAR this mean, neglected kid who bugged her asked her if she was a Christian. She said she was, and they discussed some spiritual matters. I guess this kid didn't feel like God cared and seemed to want salvation but was dragging his feet. (Why didn't she tell me this at the time?!) Jessie, bless her heart, said that she tried to talk to him positively about God and the Bible, and even said she searched the Bible for things to say!!! My kids do not know how much they blessed me with these confessions/testimonies/tales. You never know how your kid is going to be about sharing their faith. It's very hard for me to talk about spiritual matters close and deep to my heart with ANYONE, even family, much less basic things with acquaintances. Out of the mouths of babes....an example and inspiration for Mom....and some reward for many years of effort and time and prayer put in! PTL!!

No comments: