Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Jill, the name of our curriculum is Learning Adventures. Dorian Holt, wife of John Holt (big in home education), created it. The website is Learning-Adventures.org. We started it today, and I have a really good feeling about this. We're starting with Egypt. What we did today was, we read Genesis 37:1-36 about Joseph. Then I asked Zach a bunch of comprehension questions, which were written out. He had just one vocabulary word to write on a 3x5 card, and his writing assignment was copying the events we had just read about Joseph in chronological order. His vocabulary word was chronos. Then we looked at and read some of our library books. For social studies, we read about the people of Egypt--what they look like, wear, eat, etc. For science, he read about deserts. One of Dorian's big things is the connectedness in real life of things and how when you're curious or interested and have freedom to do a lot of your own research and reading, you can learn SO MUCH. For example, if you're interested in taking pictures, you would get a camera. You'd probably research what kind you wanted, and that might lead you to a photography class, and that might lead you to learning to develop your own photos, and that might lead you to entering a contest or cutting your own mats....when you're interested, not FORCED TO READ THIS TEXTBOOK FOR THIS LONG--NOW STOP--NOW STUDY FOR THE TEST--NOW THE NEXT CHAPTER--AND YOU DIDN'T RETAIN IT NOR DID YOU GET TO DO ANY PERSONAL RESEARCHING OR HANDS ON PROJECTS BECAUSE WE HAVE A SCHEDULE TO KEEP, DANG IT..... Learning Adventures is the opposite. And I don't just get to throw the lessons and books at Zach and head to the mall ( actually a bed would be the more tempting choice). She has me reading out loud to him and being pretty involved. And there is a lot of flexibility about what books you can get, although she gives you lots of specific ideas, including some required literature. So, I personally learned a lot more about Egypt today, in 1 day, "teaching" my son, than I ever knew before!! And I thought it would be fun to make some Egyptian food for dinner, so I looked up on the internet how to make Egyptian bread and lentil stew. Zach helped me with the bread, and we wove a bit of math in there, since I was doubling the recipe. For math, he did math-u-see. He's almost done with the focus on multiplication book--it's one of those Greek letters, can't remember which. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's learning--and that feels really good to say that, rather than, " I hope I can make sense of this complicated lesson plan and COVER and FORCE down his throat these 79 subjects, so I can check off the boxes!" Of course, today I didn't have any errands to do, so on days where there are errands, we will have to be more flexible. Yes, I know it's REALLY EASY to be elated at the beginning of something, and 1 month later be crying in your latte cuz you're behind or sick of it, or whatever. NEVERTHELESS!!!!! I still think I'm on to something!

I made a SUPER cake Sunday. It's rich and sweet and moist and comforting. Good for a near fall weekend. Try it! Or invite yourself over and ask me to make it. We'll have a little party for all the kind people who comment on my blog! So if you are one of those lazy people who only READ blogs ( and CRRRRRRITicize like the old rich Aunt? from the Anne books)......THEN NO CAKE FOR YOU!!!!

CARAMEL APPLE COFFEE CAKE

3 eggs
2 c. sugar
1.5 c. oil
2 tsp vanilla
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp bs
3 c. chopped, peeled apples
1 c. chopped pecans

TOPPING

1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. milk
1 c. packed brown sugar

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy; gradually add sugar. Blend in oil and vanilla. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda; add to egg mixture. Stir in apples and pecans. Pour into a greased 10-inch tube pan; bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cake to a serving platter. For topping, combine all ingredients in a saucepan; boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly pour over warm cake. (It does seem like a lot, but it soaks in some).

We have too many @#$%^&* flies in our house!!!!! And no, I don't keep a litter box in my house. The neighbors do have chickens, though. I'm really tired of flying, buzzing, impertinent, ugly flies. In summer, they do their stunt flying in the middle of the rooms, but now that it's cooler, they're all mellow and languid. You might look at the ceiling and see 7 of them trying to do charades of constellations. There are 2 flies in this computer area right now just ambling about drunkenly over my screen. This is not Amityville, ya wee beasties!!!

Okay, if I have to retype quite a few of my words, it's obscenely past my bed time. Goodnight, sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite! Or those really big spiders that come out at night and run REALLLLLLYYYY fast.

7 comments:

Kristi said...

Ha ha, I love your description of fly charades! We've been getting flies and tons of those obnoxious crane fly thingies that look like flying spiders. I keep finding little dead carcasses and detached body parts near windows. Sheesh, can't they die in the trash can or outside or something??

Loreo said...

Yeah, we have those Ichabodcraneflies, too. They ARE pesky but not as personally impertinent and brazenly buzzy as their smaller counterparts.

Jill said...

Lori, you are so FUNNY! I can just hear you saying all your Lori-isms in your blog. I am a huge fan of the learning style used by Learning Adventures. Anything you can do to help make learning fun is best for everybody involved. Learning should be fun. We started Math-U-See today and Jed loves it, especially the blocks. Only a boy would think to construct a gun out of them, though.

Try getting some flypaper for the flies. It works great. We were being overrun with flies a few weeks ago and put two up in different rooms. Got about 20 on each. Had to throw them away 'cause they got full and gross. Need to get some more since the little beasties are back in full force.

Booker said...

Those are some BIG spiders. You can keep them...

Loreo said...

Jill, only MY boy would try to make green front teeth with Math u See single unit blocks!!!!! I'm gratified you appreciate my strange humor. I only unleash it on special people. =) We tried fly paper before, but our flies just dodge it, except for a token two, and then what gets stuck in it is our hair!!
Well, Janelle, remembering how lean you look in your photos is an encouragement to me to FRY LESS BUTTER! I never used to fry quesadillas...

Jill said...

As if the flies themselves aren't bad enough, now I'm seeing them mating everywhere I look. There's something really appetite-killing about seeing flies giving each other piggyback rides in your kitchen. Sorry the flypaper didn't work. Guess you'll have to go on a killing rampage with the flyswatter. But then you have to clean up the little carcasses. That's gross.

KMS said...

Comment, comment, comment. Now will you mail me some cake? It probably wouldn't be so yummy then, though.

Ah, I do enjoy your blog. Even though I wasn't much in your circles growing up, your humor is so comfortable--like as if I've known you for a very long time. Maybe it's in the blood.