Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Chris survived the "Wonderland Trail"

Chris returned safely from his camping trip, thank God. I invited him to do a post, but he DOES NOT WRITE, so I'll just say a little. It won't be as good as if HE wrote it , but anywho. It was a super advanced hike--like 8 or 16 miles. (I told you it wouldn't be as good--I can't even remember how many miles). There were 5 or 6 guys, including Chris. They packed everything up they needed. They climbed up to like 5500 feet--this was in the Mt. Rainier vicinity. There was water at the site, but it needed purifying. Everyone had a hefty pack which they had to put clothes, food, small tent, and anything else they would need for 2 nights. I think he said it weighed 65 lbs. Chris borrowed his boss's dad's, and it had one of those fancy water packs with a tube so you can suck water as you walk without the huge inconvenience of lifting a bottle to your mouth (rolling eyes). There was a beautiful lake, Mystic Lake, which was freezing, but they all went in anyway. Chris was not warm enough at night, and he got a wretche sleep both nights. His favorite part was "hanging out with the guys." He came back sunburned, exhausted, sore, almost sick, and very happy. I massaged his back and neck for a few minutes, and boy, was he KNOTTED AND TENSE from carrying the pack! He took care of his stuff, got a shower and dinner, and slept for probably 11 hours Sunday night. I was glad to have him back. I became a bit depressed and apathetic with him gone, which was an unwelcome surprise. Like, he's a motivating, welcome presence, and there's quite a gap when he's gone. I must admit, being more sloppy was kinda cool, but not worth the loneliness.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

It must be a guy thing to be freezing, sore, and exhausted, yet still "very happy"! Probably why there aren't more woman hunters. I bet the scenery would have been awesome, though.

Booker said...

Survived sounds like the right word to me! And you can count me out of those type of things. I get enough of the "great outdoors" during work, so I have no need to fight it during my free time too :)

Claire said...

Awwwww- I liked the last few sentences and can relate - I feel like that when Brad's away- sort of floaty and listless and generally off.

Loreo said...

Ryu, what DO you do for work, anyway? Didn't realize you worked oot and aboot in the great outdoors.

Booker said...

Surveying. Field crew. So my job is strictly outdoors. All the time. So come about mid february, I wonder if I'm crazy :)