Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Dull moments few and far between

We had the strangest scene at dinner tonight. One minute there was relative normalcy as the kids got into their chairs, talking, joking, teasing. The next minute, wild laughter and crying at the same time! It all started innocently enough: I brought in a bib to put on William, but I must have really been taking a hike mentally. As I was chatting with the kids and not paying attention, I calmly proceeded to put the bib on Zoe! (She is 8). I was thinking, "Boy this is tight when you snap it over her hair. Hmm....Oh well!" (Like totally!!) But then I immediately stopped thinking about it and went to sit down. Then it dawned on Zoe. She HOLLERED, "I'M NOT A BABY!!!!!!!!!" and immediately started crying and storming off to her room, of all things! If anything, I would have thought she'd have said, "MOM!!!!!" and laughed and looked at me funny! She was SO UPSET!! (Is she sleep deprived right now?) Meanwhile, the rest of of us were rolling on the floor, laughing till we cried at the absurd airheadedness of my space-out mistake and her indignant, surprising response. This only made Zoe madder in the other room, and she continued to cry and yelled out, "IT'S NOT FUNNY!!!! I CAN HEAR YOU!!!" (Yeah, and she's not even a teenager yet. ) After I got control of myself, I went in there to tell her AGAIN that it was an accident, REALLY, and not meant to humiliate her to death. She tried to be stern when she came out, but failed miserably!!! Tee hee! Thankfully, she got some good laughs in, after all!

11 comments:

Mrs. RF said...

Oh, my. I am laughing just thinking about it! Poor Zoe!! Glad she was able to laugh eventually.

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Poor Zoe! I think I just may be able to understand how she might have felt---it may continue to sting a mite! I reckon a bit o' "building up" from mom and dad done in keerful like ways will be sure to pluck her up and set her on top of her feel good again. Situations like thet sure do make an ol' fella want to chuckle though. I have to admit I never expected my ol' chum loreo to be the distracted sort but then it happens to the best of us, don't it... 8~) ...chortle,chuckle! I seem to recall a time when I and the fam were-a-travelin' up the road in one o' them thar contraptions generally percieved to be an automobile, when I commenced to go down a road we wasn't plannin' on in a total different direction from what we was originally plannin' on. The Lady of my ol' ranch hoose who was perched along 'side o' me spoke up and commenced to ask me just what I had in mind a-goin' thet way... ...thet got me to wake up and take notice invitin' a bit o' back trackin'... ...like I said---happens to the best of us! sigh... 8~)

As to who I am... ...just think of the Lady of my ol' ranch hoose bein' yore momma's big sis...

----Luv Ya'

Kristi said...

Ha ha, that's hilarious!!

Kristi said...

Her response reminds me of Jed when he burst into tears at the suggestion of playing ping-pong! Must be a tired child syndrome or something.

KW said...

that is truly funny...How scarily easy it is to zone out and do something such as that:) At least it wasn't CHRIS you put the bib on...maybe he would have been just as upset!

Loreo said...

Would you believe we almost had a repeat kind of episode today? I had a piece of bread out to make a sandwich. Zoe put a small plate next to it to microwave a corn dog. Without thinking, I immediately took the plate as if it was mine and continued to make my sandwich. "MOM!?" "What?!" "You SNATCHED my plate!!!!" "Oh, Sorry!!!!!" This time she knew better than to get upset. It made me laugh pretty hard once again, though.

Brenda Jo said...

When she's a teenager, you'll be the one running to your bedroom!

Booker said...

Ouch. At least when I do something at my place, nobody but me sees it :-)

Jill said...

Pretty hilarious! I laughed my head off just picturing the scene. I call your lapse in judgment Mommy Brain. Happens to me more often than I'd like, though never anything as funny as what happened with Zoe!

Loreo said...

Mommby brain!? That's a good one, Jill! :)

CKS said...

Okay, four weeks late...Lori, I've been catching up on your blog after not reading for a while and I laughed SO HARD at this story! I mean, SO HARD! I enjoyed loved the other posts I hadn't read yet, too...