Monday, April 16, 2007

Chris's dream come true. And I don't mean the birds, which are new. The blue one is Charles, and the green one is not named. I don't actually know the genders, cuz they're still young. Charles may be a Charlotte for all I know.

CHILI CHEESE POTATO TOT CASSEROLE

2 LBS LEAN GROUND BEEF

1 ONION, CHOPPED

2 (15 1/2 OZ) CANS CHILI OR CHILI STARTER

1 (14 1/2 OZ) CAN PETITE DICED TOMATOES

1 (11 OZ) CAN WHOLE KERNEL CORN WITH RED AND GREEN PEPPERS, RINSED AND DRAINED

8 OZ SHREDDED CHEESE

1 (32 OZ) PCK FROZEN POTATO TOTS


COOK GROUND BEEF AND ONION IN A LARGE SKILLET OVER MED-HIGH HEAT, STIRRING UNTIL BEEF CRUMBLES AND IS NO LONGER PINK. DRAIN WELL, AND RETURN TO SKILLET. STIR IN CHILI, TOMATOES, AND CORN. POUR MIXTURE INTO A LIGHTLY GREASED 13 X 9 PAN. SPRINKLE EVENLY WITH CHEESE; TOP EVENLY WITH [GIVE ME YOUR!!!!!!] TOTS. BAKEK AT 350 FOR 1 HOUR OR UNTIL TOTS ARE GOLDEN.

(I rolled my eyes making this. It seemed like such a kid-friendly, easy, non-gourmet, cop-out meal. But I really loved it. Everybody did. The combination really works. It's actually magic.)


Chris and I celebrated 14 years marriage on April 3. I think a long, slow clap would be in order.


Saturday evening, we actually went out and did something fun as a whole family, and even had a neighbor kid in tow. And it was actually in our own town--a Bluegrass concert! It was cheap to get in and was held at a Soldier's Home. The average age of the crowd was probably 75, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was not exactly a rowdy, foot-stomping affair. We stayed for the group called the Cow Chips, and they were quite good. Their last song, a request, was hilarious. It was called Ghost Chickens in the Sky, modeled after Ghost Riders in the Sky.


William--"I got a haircut from the bathroom with a brush." (He had taken a brush, wet down his hair from back to front in the middle. If you want to save money, you too can get a haircut form the bathroom.)


Another Williamism--"My bike needs gas."

"Where are you going to get some?"

"From the kids' bike store."
I actually made homemade tortillas last night, cuz we ran out and had just been to the store twice, and I was making this recipe for dinner that needed them. They were thick and amazing, and I got some exercise for my arms rolling them out. It was actually a blessing in disguise that my quesadilla monsters ate up all my "real tortillas."

6 comments:

Booker said...

That bike is COOL! Do you have good offroad areas for it to be maxed out? ie, put it through its paces? :-)

That recipe sounds really good. I shall have to see if I can finagle Wesley into making it and sharing it with me, haahaha.

and congrats on the 14 years!

ljm said...

Wow! Fourteen years!! I am clapping very slowly for you...
Also, thanks for the recipe. Sounds easy and good.

Claire said...

Can't wait to try the magic Napoleon Dynamite recipe! It sounds PERFECTLY wonderful- especially after a long, busy day.

Yay for you- updating! It was nice to hear from you. A veritable shhhmorgasboard of newwwws.

And Happy Anniversary!

Loreo said...

Dj, yes, we live in offroad country, now! Zach seems to be more keen on getting filthy on trails than Chris, though.

Kristi said...

Gasp! An update! You're such a creative little cook. Sometimes the park downtown has little concerts, too. You going to the parade and fair this Saturday? I bet the kiddos would love it. I haven't been to that parade in a million years.

pennyjean said...

You've been tagged! Come see my blog for details.